Hasselback Potatoes with Bacon
I made these hasselback potatoes with bacon as part of a “back to school” dinner celebration. Little did I know how absolutely amazing they would be. Normally I would prepare one per person. However, depending on the size of the potato, you might want to make two per person. They really are JUST that good!!
Level of Difficulty: Moderate
Time Required: Prep Time – 30min; Cook Time – 2 1/2 hours
Ingredients for 4 people (2 each):
6 pieces of thick cut bacon, cut into pieces about an inch thick
8 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
1 stick butter, divided
Kosher salt and ground pepper
2 T. flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Special Equipment and Other Items Needed:
Preparing Hasselback Potatoes with Bacon:
1. Put the bacon pieces on a baking sheet and freeze for about 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees while also bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil.
3. Using a sharp knife, make horizontal slits in each potato, about 1/8 inch apart and making sure you do not cut all the way through the potato.
4. Gently place the potatoes in the boiling water and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the potatoes and place on a baking sheet. Pat the potatoes dry. Insert 3-4 pieces of bacon in the cuts of each potato, trying to space the bacon evenly (the bacon will poke out of the top of the slits). Melt half of the butter and brush generously over the potatoes. Reserve any extra butter for basting. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.
5. Place the potatoes in the oven and cook for 1 1/2 – 2 hours or until the outside of the potatoes start to brown. Make sure you baste with the reserved melted butter halfway through cooking.
6. Right before you take the potatoes out of the oven, melt the other half of the butter. Mix in the parsley and garlic. After the potatoes are done and on a serving tray, spoon the butter mixture over the potatoes. Serve hot!!