This is a fundamental skill to so many recipes! Time to become an expert at it. Here is a video to help make sense of it.
How to Dice an Onion Video
Below are the basic steps as well.
How to Dice an Onion:
1. Chop off the top of the onion.
2. Slice through the ‘hairy’ end of the onion.
3. Peel the outer skin from the onion and discard
4. Turn the onion with the ‘hairy’ end to your non-dominate hand. For right handers, the hairy end should be in the palm of your left hand.
5. Make vertical slits from the top of the onion following the natural ridges – through to the cutting board. Be careful to leave the hairy end in tact.. This will keep the onion together as you dice it.
5. Carefully, make 2-3 horizontal slits, again making sure you don’t slice completely through the onion.
6. After the slits are made, slice the onion. The onion is diced into nice fine pieces.
7. Optional – if you don’t want to waste the remaining uncut portion of the onion, turn it on its side and use a rocking motion with your knife to cut it into the desired size dice.
Keep your fingers in a ‘claw’ shape as you hold the onion and use your knuckles as your knife’s guide. This will help you not cut yourself.