Broccoli Bacon Salad
Our friend Kim brought one of the healthier dishes to Baconfest – The Sequel…Broccoli Bacon Salad! She started with the Broccoli Salad with Bacon Tomatoes recipe she found on www.aldi.com and then adjusted it more to her (and obviously everyone else at the party’s) liking. We thank her for sharing it with us!
1 bag frozen, shelled edamame
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 c. chopped red onion
1/2 c. dried cranberries
8 oz. feta cheese
1/2 c. halved cherry tomatoes
1/2 c. mayonaise
1/2 c. sour cream
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 T. light agave nectar
Salt and pepper to taste
Preparing Broccoli Bacon Salad:
1. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Meanwhile, fill a medium bowl with 5 cups of water and ice cubes. Set aside.
2. Blanch broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute. Remove broccoli (but save hot water) and immediately plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain thoroughly.
3. Return the water to a boil and add salt. Add the frozen edamame and boil for 4-5 minutes. Drain, then run under cold water. Drain thoroughly and pat dry. It’s important to make sure the broccoli and edamame are dry or you’ll end up with a runny sauce like I did at first.
4. In a medium bowl, combine broccoli, edamame, crumbled bacon, onion, raisins or cranberries, cheese, and cherry tomatoes.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, lemon zest and agave nectar. Add to broccoli mixture; toss until well coated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This was delicious and pretty! Thanks Kim! ~Melissa